Monday, April 09, 2012

it's as if i was reading my own mind...

Instead, as my twenties had come to a close, that deadline of THIRTY had loomed over me like a death sentence, and I discovered that I did not want to be pregnant. I kept waiting to want to have a baby, but it didn't happen.

"Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face. You really need to be certain it's what you want before you commit."

And every month when I got my period I would find myself whispering furtively in the bathroom: Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me one more month to live...

There are always two figures in a marriage, after all - two votes, two opinions, two conflicting sets of decisions, desires and limitations.

The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving. I didn't want to destroy anything or anybody. I just wanted to slip quietly out the back door, without causing any fuss or consequences, and then not stop running until I reached Greenland.

-Eat, Pray, Love

No comments: